HMRC’s online eligibility checker is now available. You can check your eligibility and obtain a date on which you can apply for the grant.
If the tool kit states you are eligible, you will need to have a Government Gateway account. If you do not already have one, you will need to set one up now.
HMRC will also be contacting individuals that they think may be entitled to claim for the grant from the week beginning 4 May.
Unfortunately, we are not able to make the grant claim, but we can assist with the eligibility checker and any queries you may have.
Applications will be open on a staged basis from 13 May.
As you are aware the government have announced they will pay a taxable grant to eligible self-employed individuals, which will run for a minimum of three months. Many of you will be interested to know how you can claim for this – the details are below.
How to claim
- You will need your Unique Tax Reference and National Insurance number ready.
- If the tool kit states you are eligible, you will need to have a Government Gateway account. If you do not already have one, you will need to set one up now.
- If the tool kit states you are not eligible, you can ask HMRC to review this decision if you think it is wrong.
- Unfortunately, as your agent, we cannot set up a Government Gateway account or make the grant claim for you, but we are here to help.
- From updated guidance issued on 4th May 2020, HMRC will be contacting individuals they deem eligible by 13 May 2020. We would therefore recommend you use the tool kit to check eligibility and set up a Government Gateway account as soon as possible.
- The grant will be paid straight into your bank account.
- Payments will be backdated to March and paid in a lump sum in June.
Should you wish to look further into the scheme here is the link https://www.gov.uk/guidance/claim-a-grant-through-the-coronavirus-covid-19-self-employment-income-support-scheme.